Sunday, August 1, 2010

Illegal Immigration is just that...illegal

The controversy about the new immigration laws in Arizona is no secret. Being a native Texan, I see illegal immigrants on a regular basis. I have not personally experienced any trouble from illegal "aliens", and my job is not threatened by their presence. I was reading an article in Texas Monthly the other day in an air-conditioned hair salon, drinking tap water without getting sick, and I have to admit it made me a little sad. I read about a man whose family lives in a dangerous drug-trafficking war-zone, and all he wants is for his daughters to be safe. A black suburban came through and left a note on the ground that said everyone needs to evacuate the area before the end of the week. Where are they supposed to go to flee this lifestyle? I realize their hometowns are extremely unsafe, they did not choose to be born there and the process of becoming a citizen of another country is not an easy one. I want to have sympathy for them...but...

At the same time, the law is the law for a reason. We are born into whatever country we are meant to be born into. That's not to say that nobody should leave their place of birth, but if someone wants to move I believe they must follow the rules in order to do so. The population of America (and the south specifically) is growing so much. Beautiful grass and trees are being uprooted to build business and malls and restaurants. Austin was not always a big city, it was a treasure of a town with hills and greenery. The tourism aspect has brought many people here and the over-population is ultimately ruining what everyone loves about it. I have seen a bumper sticker around town which reads, "Austin sucks - don't move here." I was at Zilker Park last night, at the free summer musical which I have been attending literally my whole life...and it was jam packed. My mom said she has never seen it that crowded in 24 years. With the economy the way it is, I would not be surprised if they start charging people admission. Unfortunately, with the economy the way it is, people love having a free family event to go to. I couldn't help but wonder if the problems of worsening traffic and lack of available jobs and over-crowded parks have anything to do with illegal immigration.

In Arizona, the new law states that if a person gets stopped by the police, they will be required to show identification proving that they are US citizens. I do not think this is wrong. I have blonde hair and blue eyes and am clearly not from Mexico, but I am expected to show identification when asked by a police officer and I am not offended by that. It is the law. If people are fleeing from corruption in Mexico but wanting to break the law and live here in America illegally, that is not any better. It's just bringing corruption here.

No comments:

Post a Comment